How Email Marketing Works
Email marketing is also known as opt-in marketing and is indeed straightforward. It’s probably the most stable, long-term revenue generating technique online. Email marketing is the collection of data such as an email address and also other attributes like a name and the country they are from for example, in exchange for something like a gift or offer. A visitor may be willing to give you their email address and name in exchange for a course on “making money online” for example…or to sign-up to a newsletter with the hottest dating tips. Could be anything you like!
Nowadays, consumers are overwhelmed with marketing messages that cause interruption as when you watch the television. BAM! You are interrupted by advertisements. As when you listen to the radio, you hear about the latest and greatest gadget promotion and again when you are reading your newspaper.
Large enterprises may have big fat budgets to allow this type of advertising and therefore connect with thousands and even millions of people. However, it’s hard to weigh up the achievement or success of this scale in an advertising campaign, and you only have a single opportunity to make your impression felt!
Unlike traditional forms of advertising, email marketing gives you the ability to invest just once to get the reader’s email information, then also provides you with the connection to make contact with this person over and over again, potentially, forever. But instead of it costing you over and over again, you only have to get the first subscription then you can contact that client at no cost!
Email marketing is pretty simple really as shown broken down here. It works like this.
A Run-Through Summary on How It Works
- The opt-in page is to entice the reader with a gift such as an ebook, in exchange for their email which is added to your email list.
- Your email list grows as more and more people give their email in exchange for the gift or offer.
- A thank you and a confirmation letter are emailed using an autoresponder, and the offer or the gift (if digital) is attached to this email. You also remind the person to ‘keep an eye out for your emails’ (with other offers).
- The digital gift is then emailed out. This email should also have your brand and links pointing to your website.
- Pages, posts or articles with offers are now able to be emailed out to those on your lists.
- Email offers are scheduled and automated using an autoresponder such as Aweber.
Automate The Process With An Autoresponder Such As Aweber
Aweber is an autoresponder that will automate your emails as and when you require it to. A free trial version is available, and there are many other autoresponder tools you could use as well.
You just need one autoresponder that will do the job for you, so you don’t have to. With an autoresponder, you don’t have to wait around every time someone subscribes to your offer! All you do is prepare the email offers, and then Aweber will do the rest!
An opt-in page contains the offer to the reader to which they must provide at least their email in exchange for the offer. Here is an example of what an opt-in page with an offer can look like.
The Offer – Giving value to the reader
It’s important that the gift or offer is adding value to the reader in exchange for giving you their email address. The gift or offer could be a report, an ebook or even a cheat-sheet similar to the following sample which offers a video about ‘How to Find Your Niche Keywords in Seconds’.
I hope you got some value from this post, and as always, I am available to answer any related question. So please leave a question, or indeed a comment or feedback in the comment section to follow.